After living in a home for over 2 years, an owner receives a phone call from an upset tenant that the apartment is being “closed” by the health department. The owner races over to the property to find the unit with a notice on the door closing the unit until the overgrowth of mold has been remediated. The problem was that the tenant hadn’t cleaned the basement bathroom for 2 years and had never opened a window or turned on the fan after a long hot shower. Causing the mold to grow at a high rate. Fortunately for the owner the tenant had a large deposit to pay to replace the destroyed flooring and drywall. Unfortunately for the tenant, since it was caused by their mis-use, they were quickly evicted and lost the deposit.