Our Sense of Smell…
The sense of smell is closely linked with memories, probably more so than any of our other senses. It causes a recollection of memory, emotion and even attraction. Smells can shape our moods, our behavior and and our decisions. Yet it is something that goes mainly “un-noticed” in our daily lives. So why wouldn’t we want to cause a positive reaction to the “smell” of a home.
With Fall at our door, why not make your home smell just a bit more like the weather. Whether you are selling a home, renting it out, or simply having friends over, here are some great recipes for bringing that ‘memory’ into your home.
These work great in a crockpot or even simmering on the stove (just don’t forget to turn it off when you leave) You can even be prepared by getting into the habit of saving a few key ingredients like orange peals and apple skins.
- Add 1 cup dried lavender (or a few drops of oil), 1 tsp anise, 1 Tablespoon nutmeg, 1 Tablespoon whole cloves and 1 Cinnamon stick to a pot of water and simmer.
- Combine cinnamon sticks, Apple peels/slices, Orange rinds and Whole cloves. Cover with water and simmer.
- Add few drops of vanilla and some left over orange peels to a pan of water and simmer for a wonderful smell.
- Use the peels from a lemon and an orange, 2 bay leaves, 3 cinnamon sticks and 2 Tablespoons whole cloves in water and simmer.
- Use 5 bay leaves, 1 Tablespoon whole cloves and 2 sticks cinnamon in a pan of simmering water.
- Cut up a lemon and add some rosemary to a simmering pot for an all natural fresh smell.