A maintenance request was turned in to the management company regarding a hazardous outlet that sparked whenever something was unplugged. The manager, rushed over due to the fire hazard and was unable to ‘re-create’ the issue so a licensed electrician was called in. He was also unable to isolate the issue, so they changed out the outlet and double checked that the wiring was ok.
A week later, the tenant called again stating that the problem had returned, and again the electrician was sent out, nothing was able to be found wrong with the outlet. After careful review and speaking with the tenant the electrician asked that they show him the problem. So the tenant plugged in the vacuum, turned it on, and from across the room yanked the cord, causing the plug to spark.
Unfortunately for the tenant, the electrician’s bill was now theirs to pay since the incidence was directly correlated to “user error”.
A plug should NEVER be yanked from a wall using just the cord!